Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Psalm 9 Study

Instruction :
  • Read Psalm 9:1-20 (in a quiet place w/out interruption)
  • Read it again - this time highlight or underline passages or sentences that stick out
  • Read it for the 3rd time but this time read only the highlighted/underlined portion
  • Pray those passages to God and let God speak to you about them
  • Share it here, for the edification of the BODY!
  • Click here to Read Psalm 9 online
My Study:

  • v1. I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart;
This verse reminds me "with all my heart" of how we're supposed to worship in spirit and in truth according to John 4:24. We should always test ourselves and make sure that our heart is always FULLY focused on God when praising and praying.

  • v1(continued) I will tell of all your wonders.
I am reminded to share the goodness that God does for me, my daily experiences with him will never do anyone any good if I do not share it.

  • v4. You have upheld my right and my cause;
As long as I remain faithful and in line with God's will, no matter who comes against me, God almighty will uphold my right and my cause; supporting me in whatever I do.

  • v10. Those who know your name will trust in you,
If my trust is not in God then it's in me and I cannot save myself, only Christ, God himself can save me so my trust must remain in Him.

  • v10. (continued) for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
It blesses me to know that as long as I seek the Lord, he will NEVER forsake me. This verse protects me from the evil that would set out to deceive me and attempt to quench the spirit.

  • v13. O Lord, see how my enemies persecute me! Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death.
Here the Psalmist cries out to the Lord because of the persecution and trouble that has come upon him. Remember if we seek him, he will never forsake us.. We should seek God and ask for deliverance when in times of trouble.

  • v14 that I may declare your praises..
And a motive check, do we seek God for our own personal benefit? Or for the Glory of God? We're supposed to have a relationship with the Father, but how well does a relationship work when only one of the two are committed?

For example - If Tiffany (my wife) was always striving to do what was best for me and truly LOVING me selflessly but I was only going through the motions of love but never fully doing anything truly for her benefit but only for my benefit, how catastrophic would I be to the relationship? Would this be considered a relationship at all? How then are we supposed to have a relationship with almighty God if we're only in it for ourselves? Love is a two-way street.. and we need to keep up our end of the deal.

So to conclude v14.. why was he asking God to deliver him in v13? So that God will be praised for the salvation of this psalmist. Looks like this writer had the proper motive/heart.
  • v16. the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.
When in the heat of spiritual battle, when I'm trying to justify my own sin and lie to myself saying it's ok when deep down I know it's wrong, Lord remind me of this verse when I am struggling for I do not want to be ensnared by my own hands of wickedness. The Lord judges with righteous Judgement and we know that God is not Mocked! (Gal 6:7)

"God is not Mocked" in other words - God is never and will never be surprised by anything, nothing will EVER slip by God. God sees all and knows all and will judge all righteously. No one will ever be able to say "well I got away with that". WE REAP WHAT WE SOW. It's ONLY God's mercy and love that (through Christ) allows us to repent and accept his forgiveness. But that requires humbling ourselves and with a sincere heart asking God to forgive us because of OUR SIN. No excuses, no other's to blame, WE are the only ones responsible for our sin; and with that confession of the heart, God is righteous and just to forgive us and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

  • vs17-20 These verses remind me that I should be praying for our nation, for God will judge the nations that live under the sons of disobedience and sin.
Closing Prayer:
Lord help me to remember your word in all that I do, hide it in my heart and bring it to me when I am in need. Thank you for being righteous and keeping me humble, open my eyes to the truth that is in you and keep me from evil. In your sons most holy name Jesus.. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment